But the ‘slightly soiled’ trench coat deserves some sort of clarification. I mean, yes it went all river and stuff, but really.
- Read A Storm of Swords on train with Lord F.
- Went to local village fete. The boys lost at tug of war. Girls dominated it. Bought a crystal necklace for two quid, a cute vintage purse for half that, and then - my crowning achievement - a working typewriter for two pounds fifty. Boys went welly wanging, we ate candy floss.
- Drove to local river. I say drove - hung on for dear life in a trailer containg five people, two canoes, being towed by a land rover driven by a darling Essex girl with two guys on top. At river, we played, hard. Mostly involving sinking stuff.
- Din dins, then watched lighting of jubilee beacon across the valley. Then proceeded to go on insane walk in the dark through rape fields taller than my head - I hid in Hackett’s jacket for most of it to avoid getting smashed in the face. Moon unbelievable; as bright as day.
- Next day, breakfasted like kings on bacon, and played around the house. Boules, croquet, cartwheeling, swimming, shooting. I’m still a good shot, it turns out.
- Rode pillion with Sir T on a motorbike for the first time in my life. Very quickly hooked.
- Drove to local mudflats. Lady F and I poked around near the sea while the boys played boule, again.
- Very English barbecue. Hilariously traditional; girls inside doing veggies and gossiping, boys outside manning it up over the meat.
- Post din dins had many tipsy rounds of Racing Demon (an absolutely savage card game) and Articulate in the library, before happily curling up in bed.
Spectacularly fun times.
Last Dinosaurs - nice because we sat in the sun very near the main stage. Felt like Summer had finally hit.
Friends - lost me at the overly arty sound check. Synth. They looked cool though.
Grimes - Revelation of the day. Danced so hard, eyes closed.
Beirut - just like Mumford at G-bury; sun going down, rain starting, people loving it. An atmospheric sound driving the crowd to dance hard.
Andrew Bird - made me sad I stopped playing the violin.
Modeselektor - a post-apocalyptic rave. Made some gloriously horrendous shapes.
- Last Dinosaurs
- Django Django